References and Bibliography

  1. Middlesex Registry of Deeds, Book 2525/511, Jan. 5, 1897, Lamson to Sears. See Plans, Vol.101/47 for Plan of Lamson Estate, Dec. 1896.  Sears bought a 41.2 acre piece and a 5.44 acre parcel.
  2. Middlesex Registry of Deeds (South District), Plan Book 107, Plan 16 (November 22, 1897)
  3. Everett (21 Hill Top) Book 2613/526, Nov.26, 1897, Lot F (Sears to Everett), tax records show house valued at $2000, first listed in tax records in 1899.
  4. Thorndike (42 Hill Top) Book 2636/286 and 2692/384 (lots N & P). Sold in May, 1913 to Nannie R. Rice (3791/555) Lot D purchased April, 1900 (2812/424) and sold to Jos A. and Mary A. Quinn in May, 1922 (4513/110)
  5. Palmer (26 Pigeon Hill Rd) Sears to Palmer, Lot A, May 6, 1899, 2733/577; mortgage taken out in Sept., 1901 indicates that by that time there was a house on the property (2917/475)
  6. Clarke (45 Hill Top Road) Sears to Clarke, Oct. 1902 , Lot I, 3004/293; also Lot H and parts of G and J, July, 1909, 3459/275.
  7. Russell (20 Pigeon Hill Road) Sears to Russell, Lot B, April 3, 1900, Book 2818/279. We know the house had been built by Sept, 1901, when he took out a mortgage with C.H.Fiske for the land with the buildings thereon. (2918/378)
  8. Jenney (44 Hill Top Road) Sears to Jenney, Nov 9, 1897, Lots L and M, Book 2609/33. See also 3267/355 and 3710/211 and sale of house to Arthur H. Morse in July, 1919, Book 4273/443. (46 Hill Top Road) Jenney to Geo. A. and Eleanor W. Furness, June, 1926, 4984/599, Lot L with buildings thereon. Date of 1919 is listed in assessors records and corresponds with the sale date of Lot M, which included the original Jenney house.
  9. Stimpson . Sears to Stimpson, Book 2879/216, Lot G, March, 1901. See also 5899/21, mortgage from Mary E. Stimpson to Charles H. Stimpson Jr. and wife Emily, June, 1935.
  10. Norman Newton, Design on the Land: The Development of Landscape Architecture (Harvard University Press, 1971.)
  11. Town of Weston tax records and directories.
  12. [Added 2011] Farm Town to Suburb: The History and Architecture of Weston, Massachusetts, 1830-1980 by Pamela W. Fox (2002) p. 312.