References and Bibliography

  1. Research, including deed research, by  Elsie Ann Cooke (Mrs.C.V.Cooke), from the files of the Weston Historical Commission.  Mrs. Cooke is the daughter of James T. Foote and a life-long resident of the area.  Mrs. Cooke’s booklet on houses from #237 to #306 North Avenue was particularly useful.
  2. Hastings Organ Factory materials at Weston Historical Society, including Hastings family files and also company scrapbooks with newspaper clippings and photographs (WHS #755 and 927)
  3. “Weston’s Hook-Hastings Organ Factory,” Weston Historical Society Bulletin, October, 1983, Vol.XX, No.1.
  4. Lamson, Col.Daniel S.,History of the Town of Weston, Massachusetts, 1860-1890, (Boston, 1913)
  5. Wayland, Weston and Lincoln Directory, 1893 and other directories.6.Oral histories of Weston, particularly by Elsie Cooke
  6. Interview with Mrs. Edith Schulmann about the Weston Dog Ranch property and the metal gate
  7. “North Avenue: A Quarter Mile of Change,” Weston Historical Society Bulletin, May, 1984, Vol.XX, No.4, p. 9-10.
  8. [added 2011] Farm Town to Suburb: The History and Architecture of Weston, Massachusetts, 1830-1980 by Pamela W. Fox (2002)