The cost of the markers is $180 to covers expenses and is paid by the applicant.
Markers help educate the community and increase architectural awareness. Owners are not obligated to maintain the house’s appearance once a marker is granted, nor is there any requirement that future changes be reviewed.
- Buildings must have been constructed at least fifty (50) years ago.
- Any type of building is eligible, including houses, barns, outbuildings, and commercial buildings.
- Buildings should maintain basic design integrity.
- Additions and changes should be in keeping with the original style.
- Final determination on eligibility and construction date will be made by the Weston Historical Commission.
- Fees for buildings determined to be ineligible will be returned in full.
Markers are 11 inches by 17 inches, of weatherproof signboard with beveled edges, prepared with 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of sign painter’s enamel. They are painted white with hand-painted black letters. Holes are predrilled and screws are provided.
Owners will also receive a brief written history of the house prepared by Pam Fox.
Marker applications (PDF) may be printed from this website and are also available at the Town Hall and Weston Library.
Please allow three months for marker delivery.
For questions, visit staff at Land Use, email Margy Cohen or call 781-786-5066.