- Town Projects
- Town Center Improvement Project
Town Center Improvement Project
The Town Center Improvement Project is the first opportunity in over 100 years -- since the design and construction of the Town Green -- to enhance the quality of the Town Center by addressing pedestrian and traffic safety, parking availability, and an opportunity for a variety of public activities, as well as the appearance of the Town Center. This will be the largest road construction project in Weston’s history.
Over a four-plus year period, the Town Center Planning Committee, working with the Public Works Department, a team of engineers, landscape designers, and a planning consultant, has carefully addressed myriad design and engineering challenges that face any project of this size.
Access to Town Center businesses is supported and monitored, as "Businesses are Open" is a critical directive given to the construction team by the planning committee.
Construction Update - November 9th
Access to homes and businesses will always be maintained. Police Detail is on site. Follow signs for business parking or ask for help.
This week, the following work is expected:
- Signs, pavement markings, curb and sidewalk at the Brother's Marketplace parking areas, continues
- More cable pulls and the installation of new street lamps
- miscellaneous paving and sidewalk work
The New 4-Way Stop
Rules of a 4-way stop - At a four-way stop, the right of way goes to the person who gets there first, and then in order to vehicles on the right. When turning left, you must give right of way to any vehicle approaching you.
Final configuration - The final configuration will require the removal of the utility pole on Church Street, which will not occur until spring; however, drivers can then expect parallel parking in the Church Street bank between the Town Green and First Parish Church and a longer right-hand only turn lane from Church Street that will accommodate six cars.
See the Three-week Look Ahead Schedule (PDF) for the anticipated upcoming schedule.
Construction is continuing under approved conditions, as outlined by the state.
Some street parking may be closed during work hours. If you require access to a business, please ask for assistance if access is unclear.
- Pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained.
- If you need assistance accessing a business, please ask a police officer or ground crew member.
- If crews are working in front or near a retail shop, please look for signs indicating alternative parking areas.
NO PARKING signs will be posted 24-hours in advance of road work. Barrels will be placed in the spaces that will not be available for parking. We ask that you take notice of these signs and refrain from parking in these areas during the posted hours. If the barrels are placed up on the sidewalk, then parking is allowed in the space.
Anticipated Work & Hours
Day work will begin at 7:00 a.m. and generally conclude around 3:00 p.m., though some days may go a bit longer. Anticipate site set up to occur prior to 7:00 a.m.
Refer to the "Three-week Look Ahead" document below for anticipated upcoming work. This document is updated weekly.
As with all construction work, activities are anticipated as unexpected issues can arise and delay progress.
How to Follow Progress & Get Updates
A dedicated listserv has been set up for those interested in receiving construction updates and notifications via email or text. Subscribe at Weston.org/StayInformed and look for the "Town Center Project" under News Flash.
- Repair the curbs, streets, and sidewalks, including the required improvements for handicapped accessibility and drainage upgrades
- Reconfigure the location of the curbs and sidewalks to create more continuous and ample sidewalks, safer crosswalks, new open space, and traffic-calming strategies
- Remove the utility poles and overhead wires to allow for new trees to be planted along Boston Post Road between Colpitts Road and School Street
The Open Space Plan, Tree Selection, and Tree plans are located below, along with the 100% construction plans.
- Legend, General Notes, Baselines, Tie-ins, Typical Sections - pgs. 1-17 (PDF)
- Construction Plans and Profiles - pgs. 18-31 (PDF)
- Signs and Pavement Markings - pgs. 32-39 (PDF)
- Drainage, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric/Telecom, Utility Plans - pgs. 40-74 (PDF)
- Curb Ties and Grading - pgs. 75-89 (PDF)
- Construction Details and Temporary Traffic Controls - pgs. 90-105 (PDF)
- Construction Phasing - pgs. 106-139 (PDF)
- Electric, Lighting, Site Power, and Existing - pgs. 140-165 (PDF)
- Landscape & Streetscape Plans - pgs. 166-188 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Boston Post Rd & Side Streets - pgs. 189-233 (PDF)